This ten-week research program is designed for highly motivated college undergraduate students with a keen interest in research careers in biomedical science. The Department of Cellular and Integrative Physiology offers an exciting and diverse array of research areas, geared toward understanding the cellular and molecular underpinnings of human physiology. We seek to understand how these factors influence whole organism physiology using a number of novel model systems and cutting edge technologies.
- The opportunity to receive hands-on experience in on-going research projects, under the direction of a faculty member and their lab team.
- Interact with faculty at informal weekly “faculty spotlight” sessions.
- Discuss current topics in research with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows at weekly sessions.
- Showcase the fruits of your summer research experience at a student seminar attended by the faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students and staff of the Department. Students will deliver a short oral presentation about their summer research to the department.
- SPUR students will receive $3,000 to assist in the cost of lodging, meals, and other expenses.
- On-campus housing is not available at UTHSCSA; however, there are several extended stay hotels and other options nearby.
Extra Research Activities:
- Journal Clubs
- Departmental Socials
- Other extra-curricular activities hosted by the department
How to apply:
- Must be a student in an undergraduate science degree program (U.S. institutions only).
- Must have successfully completed one year in an undergraduate degree program to include at least general biology and/or introductory chemistry.
- Must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
SPUR 2018 Program Dates May 29th – August 3rd, 2018
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018